Skip to main content

Enough time

I have a cousin called Carol. She is one of the most beautiful people I know and she comes from an amazing family full of people I respect, admire and love. She is actually my second cousin, her dad and my Grandad were brothers. I say were because her dad, my Uncle Don, passed away a few years ago. He was my favourite Uncle, the kind of man people want to be around and other men want to be. Carol has two sons, Daniel and Mathew and an amazing husband called George. She has two sisters, Debbie and Sharon, who are just as beautiful as she is. Her mum, my Aunty Val, is one of the strongest women I know and I hope to one day be a tenth of the woman she is. Carol is not only my cousin but my friend. Carol is an inspiration to me. Carol has cancer.

Carol was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer about 3 years ago, just before her dad passed away from a Cancer that had spread throughout his entire body. It was a shock, Carol was young and healthy, she had two teenage sons and a husband who adored her, she couldn't possibly have cancer. When she was diagnosed she adopted the same mental attitude that had kept her dad alive for 12 years longer than he was supposed to live. She was positive, she changed her diet, she went on health retreats and to the outside world she looked like a woman who knew she could beat this thing. We believed that she would beat the cancer, we were wrong. Last year she told me that she knew she wouldn't beat the cancer, that eventually it would reunite her with her father. I guess when she told me I didn't believe her, or at least I didn't want to.

Last week my mum told me that Carol was in hospital in Brisbane. She had been on a holiday overseas and had become so sick that she had to be flown home to Australia as quickly as possible. Her husband was with her but, as selfless as always, she had sent him home to Perth to see his father inducted in to the Hall of Fame for the football team he had played for. We hoped she would be back in Perth soon so we could visit her but no one knew when she would be well enough to fly.

Then last night my mum told me that Carol was home. The story goes that Virgin flew her home, making allowances for the fact that she needed oxygen the whole way and possibly setting down to collect more oxygen along the way. The story has been passed from family member to family member so I don't know how accurate it is but I am glad she is home.

Today we will go and visit her, possibly for the last time, and suddenly I feel like I have so many things I want to ask her. I feel like there are so many conversation still left to have. I feel like I don't know enough about who she is, what she has done, how she feels about life. I can't even begin to imagine how her husband, her sons and her sisters feel. I am sure each of them is hoping for just a bit more time, just another day, another week, another year. Maybe she will beat it for now, maybe she will get better and I can have those conversations with her, but is there ever enough time to have all the conversations you want to have with someone you love?

This morning I saw two Facebook posts from Carol's son Mathew. One asked his friends to hug their mothers and tell them how much they are loved, the other was one of the most heartbreaking things I have ever read. It simply said "I'm the most terrified I've been in my entire life".

So today I have one simple request, on behalf of Carol, George, Daniel and Mathew, tell the people that you love how much you care about them, tell them how they make your life better, hug them tight and remember that there is never enough time so make the most of it while you can.

Love and hugs

T x x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week One... Or Should I Say Week Two Thousand One Hundred and Seventy Nine...

 That's how many weeks I have been alive (give or take a couple of days). Two thousand one hundred and seventy-nine. Yet here I am still fighting the same fights I have always fought. Self-image, self-acceptance, unrelenting standards, imposter syndrome.  Once again I find myself in a body that feels uncomfortable and unhealthy. It crept up on me slowly and suddenly all at the same time. I still barely eat any refined sugar. I turn down the lollies and cakes and doughnuts at work. It's not even a struggle, I no longer enjoy the way sugar makes my body feel. But my old nemesis, potato chips, remains undefeated. I eat potato chips to fill the emptiness in my soul. To feel as miserable physically as I do mentally or emotionally. To get comfort from an association with my childhood. It is the struggle I can't overcome. The war I can't win. So after months of trying on my own to no avail, months of the scales not budging, I have signed up for a healthy eating plan. I'm n

World Domination and the Darkness

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?" "The same thing we do every night Pinky -  try to take over the world!" Two things are clear to me , I love that cartoon and Brain never suffered from depression. You see it's much easier to try to take over the world if you don't have to use every ounce of motivation and determination in your body to get out of bed each morning. If Brain had suffered from depression it is likely he may have given up his plan after the first failure. For even the smallest hurdle can, to a depressive, seem like an insurmountable barrier. Now don't get me wrong, there are lots of depressed people who have achieved all sorts of amazing things. World domination while depressed is not completely impossible its just a hell of a lot harder. Before people start accusing me of being a whiner and making excuses I would first ask those people a) do you currently have or have you ever depression? and b) can you shut your stupid

I don't want to do this anymore

I am so over it right now. Everything feels hard. Everything feels shit. Everything makes me want to cry. I don't want to be a person any more. I don't want to be an anything any more. My children are smart. They get good grades, score well on NAPLAN, their teachers love them. Why then must they continue to do stupid things? I am so sick of a child running to tell me that so-and-so did such-and-such to me, I am sick of them hurting each other, I am sick of them destroying things, I am sick of them whinging, complaining, walking past rubbish on the floor, leaving shit everywhere, pretending they can't see the dog wee on the floor, having rooms that looking like the aftermath of a break and enter. I am sick of washing dishes, of sweeping floors, of the endless amounts of washing and folding and cleaning and tidying and cooking and planning and thinking. I am sick of feeling guilty for not being able to do those things that I should be doing, of feeling guilty that my husband