Skip to main content

A scary day in our lives


This is another post from my old tumblr blog. I am posting it here because the events described within have affected our lives so much and the aftermath has defined who we are as a family, a couple and as people

So I posted on twitter a little while ago that it was a scary day at my house as Alan has gone to work today with his resignation in hand but with no new job to go to. A couple of people who are relatively new to our lives have asked me why, what happened? Unfortunately the answer to this question is far too complicated to answer in a 140 character tweet. So I thought I would write a blog about it.

The details below have been pieced together by me from personal accounts, police reports and news stories.
Just over 4 years ago, about a month and a half after our master 4 was born, my husband Alan was assaulted at his workplace, BWS Maddington. It was an average workday, there was Alan and two staff in the store and a number of authentic customers when some people entered the store under the false appearance of being customers but actually intending to steal several bottles of alcohol. After watching one of the group, a woman, walk out of the store with alcohol concealed under her clothing. Another member of the group, a male, approached the counter to purchase a single mixer can. It was then that Alan informed him that he would need to pay for the alcohol that the woman had taken. The male was insistent that she hadn’t stolen anything and he wouldn’t be paying for it. As he is perfectly within his right to do as a liquor store manager, Alan informed the man that he was denying him service unless he paid for ALL of the alcohol that had been removed from the store by the group. 

The man became rowdy and aggressive and Alan made the decision to call the police. It was then that Alan made the critical mistake that would almost destroy our live. He turned his back on the man. Because he had his back turned he was able to be overpowered by the man and one or two of his friends and was pushed out the front door of the store, pushed to the ground, hit, kicked and stomped on. One of the group kicked or stomped on his head, fracturing his skull and perforating his eardrum. No one came to his aid, none of the staff, none of the customers, no one. They watched as he had his sense of safety and dignity was beaten out of him. Some days I am angry at those people who did nothing, some days I understand why they stood by. One of the staff pressed the silent alarm and after he was laying bleeding and broken on the ground the group jumped into their car and drove away.

I was blissfully unaware of what had happened to my husband until I received a phone call from the hospital to inform me that Alan had been taken to the hospital in an ambulance. I was so distraught that I threw my two big kids at my mum, jumped in the car with my new born baby and cried as I sped to the hospital, unsure of what I would find when I got there. It wasn’t until I returned home several hours later that I discovered I had left the house in such a panic that I hadn’t even locked the front door. 

When I arrived at the hospital I was taken to see him in the ED. He was a mess. He was bleeding from his ears, he was shaking from the pain he was in and he was a shadow of the man I loved and married. It was the absolutely worst experience I have ever had.

After he was released from hospital we went through weeks and months of recovery, physio, doctors visits, pain management, angry outbursts, depression, anxiety. We had a brand new baby, our lives should have been full of joy and instead they were the hardest months of our lives. And BWS sent him right back to the store he had been assaulted in. The lack of support and the attitudes of some of the higher up staff at BWS were disgusting, several times it felt like he was being assaulted all over again. Then finally they moved him to the Kelmscott BWS, a new store but with exactly the same type of demographic. 

Since all of this happened we have almost destroyed our marriage twice. I won’t go into details as there are somethings that should remain private. But because of that one incident we have been to hell and back!
Alan has never felt safe at work since that day and has in fact been assaulted by customers several more times, just never to the same extent. He hates going to work and has finally reached the point where he can’t take it anymore. So today may be the start of a scary new adventure for us. My husband is not an impulsive man so it has taken a lot for him to get to this point. And despite everything we’ve been through (or maybe because of) we now have a stronger marriage, one I know can survive anything.

If you would like to ask me anymore questions about my post please feel free to do so on either twitter or by email. I will answer as best I can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week One... Or Should I Say Week Two Thousand One Hundred and Seventy Nine...

 That's how many weeks I have been alive (give or take a couple of days). Two thousand one hundred and seventy-nine. Yet here I am still fighting the same fights I have always fought. Self-image, self-acceptance, unrelenting standards, imposter syndrome.  Once again I find myself in a body that feels uncomfortable and unhealthy. It crept up on me slowly and suddenly all at the same time. I still barely eat any refined sugar. I turn down the lollies and cakes and doughnuts at work. It's not even a struggle, I no longer enjoy the way sugar makes my body feel. But my old nemesis, potato chips, remains undefeated. I eat potato chips to fill the emptiness in my soul. To feel as miserable physically as I do mentally or emotionally. To get comfort from an association with my childhood. It is the struggle I can't overcome. The war I can't win. So after months of trying on my own to no avail, months of the scales not budging, I have signed up for a healthy eating plan. I'm n

World Domination and the Darkness

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?" "The same thing we do every night Pinky -  try to take over the world!" Two things are clear to me , I love that cartoon and Brain never suffered from depression. You see it's much easier to try to take over the world if you don't have to use every ounce of motivation and determination in your body to get out of bed each morning. If Brain had suffered from depression it is likely he may have given up his plan after the first failure. For even the smallest hurdle can, to a depressive, seem like an insurmountable barrier. Now don't get me wrong, there are lots of depressed people who have achieved all sorts of amazing things. World domination while depressed is not completely impossible its just a hell of a lot harder. Before people start accusing me of being a whiner and making excuses I would first ask those people a) do you currently have or have you ever depression? and b) can you shut your stupid

Unsent Letter: Dear Broken Little Girl

Dear Broken Little Girl You've got the world fooled. With your masks and your costumes. With the illusion you have created. I'm not fooled anymore, I see who you truly are. I see the little girl terrified of revealing any weakness or cracks. The little girl who uses people for what they can do for her and then casts them aside until she needs them once more. I used to look at you and think you were so much more than me, that I was so much less. Now I realise that you will never be as much as me. Not until you are willing to be wrong, to be imperfect, to be fragile and vulnerable and human. Anybody can do what you do, yet you doubt my ability. You think you are so grown up and in control, but you're not. Everything you stand against, you have been. Everything you fight for, you've never endured. You are an empty shadow trying to fill yourself up at the expense of others. You once told me that I should learn to put myself first and say no. Well I've learnt. I