Skip to main content

Fire in Babylon

Last night we saw the movie Fire in Babylon. The synopsis states it's a 2010 documentary film about the record-breaking West Indies cricket team of the 1970s and 1980. Now if you are anything like me you are probably already starting to tune out. Cricket?! Pfft! How could that possibly be an interesting movie? Well let me tell you right now that this movie is better than you could possibly imagine!

Starting around the late 60's and early 70's and filled with stock footage and interviews with players, academics, and people of cultural significance in the West Indies it is an inspiring, uplifting, sometimes confrontational, sometimes hilarious look at how the rise to success of one group of men lifted an entire people up above the oppression, racism and helplessness they'd endured for over 300 years.

The movie talks about the 1975 test series when Australia massacred the West Indies, embarrassing them internationally and cementing the label of Calypso Cricketers. It also reveals, in the players own words, that it was this humiliating defeat that led to the turnaround of what was to become one of, if not THE greatest team in the history of not only cricket but of sport in general. At the peak of their success the West Indies Cricket team remained undefeated for 15 years and produced some of the finest individual Cricketers the world has known.

The movie also shows the cultural impact that the success of the team had on the people of the West Indies, a people who, in every other way remained a group of islands that agreed on nothing. The success of the team also saw a shift in the attitudes of those people who had migrated from the West Indies to England in search of a better home. The film also highlights a strong correlation between the cultural shift of the people of the West Indies and the struggle against oppression for African Americans and the anti apartheid movement in Africa.

Fire in Babylon also reveals, unflinchingly, the racism that the West Indians faced from both their opponents on the field and the crowds that watched the games. There were times I was ashamed of being Australian, ashamed to know that people revered by many Australians as heroes thought it acceptable to use racial slurs during what most consider a gentleman's game.

During the movie I found myself barracking for the West Indies, hoping they would defeat my own country's Cricketers. Hoping they would overcome all odds and prove that colour has nothing to do with success and achievement. I was inspired by their courage and perseverance, by their dedication and commitment. They made me proud to be a human being.

Whether you are old enough to remember Lillee and Thommo or barely old enough to remember when cricket was interesting, whether you are a cricket fanatic or someone who could care less this movie will grab hold of you and refuse to let you go until the credits roll. See it, be inspired, laugh and rejoice in our ability to overcome.

There are several more opportunities to see this movie during the Revelation Film Festival, find session times here http://www.revelationfilmfest.org

Comments

  1. Windie's were best with Walsh and Ambrose... those lips! Could kill an aussie in a single pucker.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Week One... Or Should I Say Week Two Thousand One Hundred and Seventy Nine...

 That's how many weeks I have been alive (give or take a couple of days). Two thousand one hundred and seventy-nine. Yet here I am still fighting the same fights I have always fought. Self-image, self-acceptance, unrelenting standards, imposter syndrome.  Once again I find myself in a body that feels uncomfortable and unhealthy. It crept up on me slowly and suddenly all at the same time. I still barely eat any refined sugar. I turn down the lollies and cakes and doughnuts at work. It's not even a struggle, I no longer enjoy the way sugar makes my body feel. But my old nemesis, potato chips, remains undefeated. I eat potato chips to fill the emptiness in my soul. To feel as miserable physically as I do mentally or emotionally. To get comfort from an association with my childhood. It is the struggle I can't overcome. The war I can't win. So after months of trying on my own to no avail, months of the scales not budging, I have signed up for a healthy eating plan. I'm n

World Domination and the Darkness

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?" "The same thing we do every night Pinky -  try to take over the world!" Two things are clear to me , I love that cartoon and Brain never suffered from depression. You see it's much easier to try to take over the world if you don't have to use every ounce of motivation and determination in your body to get out of bed each morning. If Brain had suffered from depression it is likely he may have given up his plan after the first failure. For even the smallest hurdle can, to a depressive, seem like an insurmountable barrier. Now don't get me wrong, there are lots of depressed people who have achieved all sorts of amazing things. World domination while depressed is not completely impossible its just a hell of a lot harder. Before people start accusing me of being a whiner and making excuses I would first ask those people a) do you currently have or have you ever depression? and b) can you shut your stupid

Unsent Letter: Dear Broken Little Girl

Dear Broken Little Girl You've got the world fooled. With your masks and your costumes. With the illusion you have created. I'm not fooled anymore, I see who you truly are. I see the little girl terrified of revealing any weakness or cracks. The little girl who uses people for what they can do for her and then casts them aside until she needs them once more. I used to look at you and think you were so much more than me, that I was so much less. Now I realise that you will never be as much as me. Not until you are willing to be wrong, to be imperfect, to be fragile and vulnerable and human. Anybody can do what you do, yet you doubt my ability. You think you are so grown up and in control, but you're not. Everything you stand against, you have been. Everything you fight for, you've never endured. You are an empty shadow trying to fill yourself up at the expense of others. You once told me that I should learn to put myself first and say no. Well I've learnt. I