Skip to main content

Radio Free Albemuth

As a fan of the movies adapted from the writing of Philip K Dick I was very excited to see this adaptation of the story of the same name. Dealing with dream visions, messages from beyond, communists, social control, oppression of civil rights, aliens and lasers it is Dick's most autobiographical novel. The story and film both feature a character named after Dick and several plot elements based on actual events from his life.

The film contains several familiar faces, though none of them as well known as god herself, Alanis Morrisette (a personal favourite). The ensemble cast performed well, creating likable (or unlikeable if necessary)characters that were easy to become involved with. I was invested in the story and the fates of each player, hoping for the best. There were times the story moved slowly, where perhaps the director could have been a bit more ruthless with the editing (the lack of ruthlessness may be because the director was also the writer of the screenplay). The pacing would however have to be my only complaint, the actors performed superbly and the screenwriting and cinematography were fantastic and while the special effects were a little rough around the edges it's hard to be too harsh on the filmmakers who I'm sure had a limited budget for such things.

It is obvious that this was a movie that those involved truly cared about. For those of you expecting Blade Runner or Total Recall I implore you to put aside your expectations before you see this movie. This is an indie film that strives, above all else, to tell a story and what a story it is!

Comments

  1. Blade Runner would have been much better if Alanis Morrisette played Rachel, but she would have been a bit young i guess. Don't think she's got all the necessary equipment for a triple-chested role in Total Recall, mind you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Week One... Or Should I Say Week Two Thousand One Hundred and Seventy Nine...

 That's how many weeks I have been alive (give or take a couple of days). Two thousand one hundred and seventy-nine. Yet here I am still fighting the same fights I have always fought. Self-image, self-acceptance, unrelenting standards, imposter syndrome.  Once again I find myself in a body that feels uncomfortable and unhealthy. It crept up on me slowly and suddenly all at the same time. I still barely eat any refined sugar. I turn down the lollies and cakes and doughnuts at work. It's not even a struggle, I no longer enjoy the way sugar makes my body feel. But my old nemesis, potato chips, remains undefeated. I eat potato chips to fill the emptiness in my soul. To feel as miserable physically as I do mentally or emotionally. To get comfort from an association with my childhood. It is the struggle I can't overcome. The war I can't win. So after months of trying on my own to no avail, months of the scales not budging, I have signed up for a healthy eating plan. I'm n

Unsent Letter: Dear Broken Little Girl

Dear Broken Little Girl You've got the world fooled. With your masks and your costumes. With the illusion you have created. I'm not fooled anymore, I see who you truly are. I see the little girl terrified of revealing any weakness or cracks. The little girl who uses people for what they can do for her and then casts them aside until she needs them once more. I used to look at you and think you were so much more than me, that I was so much less. Now I realise that you will never be as much as me. Not until you are willing to be wrong, to be imperfect, to be fragile and vulnerable and human. Anybody can do what you do, yet you doubt my ability. You think you are so grown up and in control, but you're not. Everything you stand against, you have been. Everything you fight for, you've never endured. You are an empty shadow trying to fill yourself up at the expense of others. You once told me that I should learn to put myself first and say no. Well I've learnt. I

World Domination and the Darkness

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?" "The same thing we do every night Pinky -  try to take over the world!" Two things are clear to me , I love that cartoon and Brain never suffered from depression. You see it's much easier to try to take over the world if you don't have to use every ounce of motivation and determination in your body to get out of bed each morning. If Brain had suffered from depression it is likely he may have given up his plan after the first failure. For even the smallest hurdle can, to a depressive, seem like an insurmountable barrier. Now don't get me wrong, there are lots of depressed people who have achieved all sorts of amazing things. World domination while depressed is not completely impossible its just a hell of a lot harder. Before people start accusing me of being a whiner and making excuses I would first ask those people a) do you currently have or have you ever depression? and b) can you shut your stupid