Skip to main content

Paranormal Activity 3

On Wednesday we were lucky enough to attend a preview screening of Paranormal Activity 3. I had originally been skeptical of this movie franchise, being under the false impression that it was Blair Witch without the woods. We resisted seeing the first one for quite a while until one night there was nothing else to watch. I was pleasantly surprised. Here was a good old fashioned scary movie. One that didn't rely on blood and gore but instead used mood, sound and old fashioned bump in the night stuff. Number 2 was the same and luckily number 3 has stuck to the same formula.

If you don't know the premise behind the franchise you should still enjoy this movie. Despite the fact that it is number three and yet all the events take place before the first and second one, the stories are linked but not so intrinsically that you won't understand what is going on.

I should point out that I am not really someone who is scared by horror films. My friends and I watched my first horror movie, Child's Play, for my 11th or 12th birthday and while they all huddled and clung together I laughed my arse off. I recall being slightly freaked out in the sequel to the original Stepford Wives when the kids go looking for their dead mother's body and the coffin is empty (I was about 10 at the time) and the re release of the Exorcist did make me a little uneasy but in general I am pretty unfazed by horror.

Having said that Paranormal Activity 3 managed to get an audible squeak out of me! It has several good scares, a few false ones (which were predictable but still fun) thrown in for good measure and one spectacular one that I must say is one of my favourite scares in recent years and the one that produced the squeak. Its hard for me to say much more other than it involves the kitchen without ruining it, but hopefully you will know which one I'm talking about when you see it!

The premise of the movie, that everything is shot by the characters with hand held video cameras does mean that you have to be willing to ignore reality a little bit, several times I found myself wondering if you'd really film that particular conversation, but quickly reminded myself that is was just a movie and imagination is required to some extent.

For those of you that have seen the first two you'll be pleased to know that there is some explanation as to the events that take place when the girls are grown up however there are also a whole lot more questions. The husband shaped person and I were happy to have a long held theory of ours confirmed and all in all we enjoyed the movie immensely.

For those of you that feel the need to say things like "it's so fake" or force your friends to stay until the end of the credits so you can say triumphantly, when the disclaimer about any similarity to actual persons blah blah blah come on - "Look it says its all fiction! I knew it" save yourself the effort and realise that no one actually believes its real footage from real people and real events. Its just a fun movie that'll make you jump.

I would definitely recommend you see this (and the first two if you haven't already) unless you are my sister who made me cover her ears while she covered her eyes during the Blair Witch (don't ask)

Comments

  1. I don't think I will be watching this. I had to watch The Sixth Sense in the middle of the day, with my husband sitting next to me even though he didn't want to watch it and even though I knew that I was going to get a fright and tried to prepare for it, I still got frights during the movie and screamed out loud at times - he never could understand why I wanted to watch it in the first place. It was my fascination with spiritis and communicating with people who have died that made me want to watch it. I often wonder if I could watch it again but everytime I think I can do it, I chicken out and don't !!!
    Glad you enjoyed the movie - always good to go and have a good time out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha! Why do we torture ourselves like that? The Sixth Sense is one of my favourite movies, it was such a ground breaking movie when it came out. For me its war movies, I hate them, they make me sad, so I've stopped watching them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember it like this, but apparently my first horror movie was Michael Jackson's Moonwalker. While everyone else was laughing i was in the corner scared.
    Someone also made me watch The Sixth Sense, i haven't watched it since though, as i haven't forgotten the spoiler so there's really not much point is there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Moonwalker, I've seen it hundreds of times! It's definitely odd but I never got scared by it. Once you know the spoiler in the Sixth Sense its good to watch it again so you can have lots of "oh" moments

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Week One... Or Should I Say Week Two Thousand One Hundred and Seventy Nine...

 That's how many weeks I have been alive (give or take a couple of days). Two thousand one hundred and seventy-nine. Yet here I am still fighting the same fights I have always fought. Self-image, self-acceptance, unrelenting standards, imposter syndrome.  Once again I find myself in a body that feels uncomfortable and unhealthy. It crept up on me slowly and suddenly all at the same time. I still barely eat any refined sugar. I turn down the lollies and cakes and doughnuts at work. It's not even a struggle, I no longer enjoy the way sugar makes my body feel. But my old nemesis, potato chips, remains undefeated. I eat potato chips to fill the emptiness in my soul. To feel as miserable physically as I do mentally or emotionally. To get comfort from an association with my childhood. It is the struggle I can't overcome. The war I can't win. So after months of trying on my own to no avail, months of the scales not budging, I have signed up for a healthy eating plan. I'm n

World Domination and the Darkness

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?" "The same thing we do every night Pinky -  try to take over the world!" Two things are clear to me , I love that cartoon and Brain never suffered from depression. You see it's much easier to try to take over the world if you don't have to use every ounce of motivation and determination in your body to get out of bed each morning. If Brain had suffered from depression it is likely he may have given up his plan after the first failure. For even the smallest hurdle can, to a depressive, seem like an insurmountable barrier. Now don't get me wrong, there are lots of depressed people who have achieved all sorts of amazing things. World domination while depressed is not completely impossible its just a hell of a lot harder. Before people start accusing me of being a whiner and making excuses I would first ask those people a) do you currently have or have you ever depression? and b) can you shut your stupid

Unsent Letter: Dear Broken Little Girl

Dear Broken Little Girl You've got the world fooled. With your masks and your costumes. With the illusion you have created. I'm not fooled anymore, I see who you truly are. I see the little girl terrified of revealing any weakness or cracks. The little girl who uses people for what they can do for her and then casts them aside until she needs them once more. I used to look at you and think you were so much more than me, that I was so much less. Now I realise that you will never be as much as me. Not until you are willing to be wrong, to be imperfect, to be fragile and vulnerable and human. Anybody can do what you do, yet you doubt my ability. You think you are so grown up and in control, but you're not. Everything you stand against, you have been. Everything you fight for, you've never endured. You are an empty shadow trying to fill yourself up at the expense of others. You once told me that I should learn to put myself first and say no. Well I've learnt. I