Skip to main content

A Celebration of International Women's Day (or a post where I ramble)

So for those of you that live under a rock (as I usually do), today is International Women's Day. A day to celebrate the struggle of women before us and to celebrate our achievements and successes.  In honour of the women who came before us I would like to acknowledge the women who make a difference in my life.

Here they are in no particular order:

My Mum, Valerie - there is no one I admire more than her. She sacrificed so much for me and never once made me feel like she was doing it begrudgingly. She taught me what it is to be a women and a mother. She taught me to be independent, brave, loyal, funny, good at Yahtzee and to see both sides of every argument. She taught me that it is not people's position or title that matters but the content of their character. She taught me empathy and sympathy, she taught me to cook! We do not always agree and sometimes we fight but she also taught me the gift of forgiveness. She is pretty ace!

My Nana, Pat - she's watching me from up above now but when she was here she taught me what unconditional love was. She taught me that nothing is more important than family. She taught me to eat my Christmas pudding carefully in case there's a coin in it! Later in life, when the Alzheimer's got worse, she taught me the gifts of patience, of letting go and of knowing how to say goodbye. She taught me the joy of one last moment of recognition and she taught me that it's ok to feel sadness.

My Daughter, Princess Bob - my amazing, beautiful, smart, talented daughter. Everyday she teaches me something new. Together we learn how to cope with a teenager in the house, we learn to negotiate, to communicate, to share, to listen. She teaches me to say sorry when I am wrong. She makes me strive every day to be a better mother, a better woman, a better human being. I hope I can do as good a job teaching her as my mum and my Nana did teaching me.

Erin - she is probably my oldest friend even though we've only known each other for 5 years. She puts up with me when I whine, when I feel down, when I'm angry and when I'm just down right moody. She makes me laugh, she lifts me up and reminds me constantly that I have people who love me and that I should be proud of who I am. She keeps my secrets and listens to my melodrama! I don't see her as often as I would like but she is always in my heart and my thoughts.

Marie - she is a light in my sometimes dark world. She is my cheerleader, my confidant, my shoulder to cry on. She makes me laugh, she gets me, she lets me be myself. She reminds me that its ok to be a strong woman, to know who you are and what you want and to be ok with that. She reminds me that it's important to surround yourself with beauty and fabulous things. Above all she reminds me to be generous, in kindness, in love and in material goods!

(young) Tina - she is an absolute inspiration to me! She may be *cough* several *cough* years younger than me but she is my role model. Not only did she completely change her life by losing a ridiculous amount of weight but she is the epitome of elegance. She is kind, gentle, loving. She doesn't judge, she doesn't ridicule, she accepts people as they are. She cares deeply about the important people in her life and reminds me constantly to try and be a better me. She is the embodiment of the phrase "beautiful on the inside and out". I feel so privileged to be included in her circle of friends and feel so grateful to have met her.

Bec - If I could choose someone to be my second sister it would be her. She is always there when I need to talk, always cheering me on from the sidelines. She picks me up when I am down and celebrates with me when I succeed. She too has lost a ridiculous amount of weight and her journey inspires me to be better. When I think I can't do it she tells me that I can, she reminds me that I'm awesome, a trait we share! I just wish she lived closer as I miss her everyday!

Kacy - she is the most interesting person I know! I love her intelligence, her spirituality, her kindness and most of all her quirkiness! She reminds me that being yourself and following your own path is one of life's most important lesson. She reminds me that it's important to do things you love, to know who you are and what makes you happy and to take time to be alone. She taught me to take better photos and also to be a more awesome person!

There are so many more amazing women that I am blessed to have in my life and I want to thank and acknowledge them for making my life richer and more wonderful:
my sister (Alex), (not so young) Tina, Jackie, Yolie, Aunty Audrey, Aunty Val, Annette, Ashlee Harrison, Karen, Suzie, Penina, Sunili, Michelle, Judi and all the fabulous women I love on Twitter!

I also want to thank the fabulous men in my life for being the kind of men that every man should strive to be: my amazing HSP (Alan), my wonderful boys (Stinky Pete and Burley), my Grandad (Val), my dad (Barry), Ben (you are the second most amazing man I know), Simon, Clint, Grant, Lee, Wally and Matt.

A final thank you to Mrs L, Carol and Uncle Don for the wonderful lessons you taught me and the love you gave me before you left us.

Wow this post went on a bit longer than I intended, and probably got a bit rambley but oh well. I think it's important to let people know how much they mean to you and today seemed like the perfect day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week One... Or Should I Say Week Two Thousand One Hundred and Seventy Nine...

 That's how many weeks I have been alive (give or take a couple of days). Two thousand one hundred and seventy-nine. Yet here I am still fighting the same fights I have always fought. Self-image, self-acceptance, unrelenting standards, imposter syndrome.  Once again I find myself in a body that feels uncomfortable and unhealthy. It crept up on me slowly and suddenly all at the same time. I still barely eat any refined sugar. I turn down the lollies and cakes and doughnuts at work. It's not even a struggle, I no longer enjoy the way sugar makes my body feel. But my old nemesis, potato chips, remains undefeated. I eat potato chips to fill the emptiness in my soul. To feel as miserable physically as I do mentally or emotionally. To get comfort from an association with my childhood. It is the struggle I can't overcome. The war I can't win. So after months of trying on my own to no avail, months of the scales not budging, I have signed up for a healthy eating plan. I'm n

World Domination and the Darkness

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?" "The same thing we do every night Pinky -  try to take over the world!" Two things are clear to me , I love that cartoon and Brain never suffered from depression. You see it's much easier to try to take over the world if you don't have to use every ounce of motivation and determination in your body to get out of bed each morning. If Brain had suffered from depression it is likely he may have given up his plan after the first failure. For even the smallest hurdle can, to a depressive, seem like an insurmountable barrier. Now don't get me wrong, there are lots of depressed people who have achieved all sorts of amazing things. World domination while depressed is not completely impossible its just a hell of a lot harder. Before people start accusing me of being a whiner and making excuses I would first ask those people a) do you currently have or have you ever depression? and b) can you shut your stupid

Unsent Letter: Dear Broken Little Girl

Dear Broken Little Girl You've got the world fooled. With your masks and your costumes. With the illusion you have created. I'm not fooled anymore, I see who you truly are. I see the little girl terrified of revealing any weakness or cracks. The little girl who uses people for what they can do for her and then casts them aside until she needs them once more. I used to look at you and think you were so much more than me, that I was so much less. Now I realise that you will never be as much as me. Not until you are willing to be wrong, to be imperfect, to be fragile and vulnerable and human. Anybody can do what you do, yet you doubt my ability. You think you are so grown up and in control, but you're not. Everything you stand against, you have been. Everything you fight for, you've never endured. You are an empty shadow trying to fill yourself up at the expense of others. You once told me that I should learn to put myself first and say no. Well I've learnt. I