Skip to main content

tif's Guide to Parenting

First of let me say that I have no training other than my almost 14 years of being a parent. I do not hold any sort of qualification that makes me an "expert". Now we've got that out of the way, here's my tips.

1. Love your child(ren) - this one seems pretty straight forward and easy but sometimes it gets forgotten. There are many definitions of the word love (and obviously I'm not referring to sexual love here!) but for me this means to have affection, warmth, fondness towards your offspring, to like them, to be interested in them as a person.

2. Make sure your child(ren) know that they are loved - loving them is all well and good, but if they don't know in the core of their being that they are loved then it's kind of irrelevant.

3. Give yourself permission to make mistakes - this is one that I'm not very good at myself but that I consider to be very important. We are each of us only human and we are going to cock things up at one time or another in all aspects of our lives. Expecting ourselves to be perfect parents places undue stress and pressure on ourselves and our children. It is good for our kids to see that we aren't perfect, it allows them to know that it's ok to make mistakes.

4. Acknowledge when you've made a bad choice - if you get something wrong, admit it! Apologise to your children and explain to them. If you lose your temper and yell at them when you wish you hadn't tell them. It's ok to say to your kids "I should have made different choices then, I'm sorry that I lost my temper". Talking about mistakes and feelings gives kids permission to do the same.

5. Trust yourself - if some "expert" or well meaning family member or friend has given you advice and it doesn't sit right with you, or just feels wrong for your family then have the courage to trust your own instincts. Everyone is different, every parent child relationship is different and every family is different. Trust your own instincts and make the right decision for you and your family.

6. Trust your kids - little people are much better at listening to their instincts than big people. If your kids don't want to spend time with someone or don't want to hug them or be left alone with them then there is a reason. Give them trust without making them earn it, you'll probably find they will live up to your expectations because you've given them permission to.

7. Remember that children are people too - always treat your kids with the same respect and courtesy that you would treat any other member of the human race. They are miniature sized people that you have been given the gift to care and nurture for, they are not your possessions.

8. Listen to your children - teach your children that their thoughts and opinions are important, teach them that sharing feelings and emotions is a healthy and productive thing to do. Be interested in them and their lives. You might just learn something.

9. Have fun - life isn't meant to be dreary, celebrate, party, be silly, cultivate happiness!

I'm sure there is lots more that I could write, but I think these 9 things are the most important. I hope someone, somewhere finds them helpful.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week One... Or Should I Say Week Two Thousand One Hundred and Seventy Nine...

 That's how many weeks I have been alive (give or take a couple of days). Two thousand one hundred and seventy-nine. Yet here I am still fighting the same fights I have always fought. Self-image, self-acceptance, unrelenting standards, imposter syndrome.  Once again I find myself in a body that feels uncomfortable and unhealthy. It crept up on me slowly and suddenly all at the same time. I still barely eat any refined sugar. I turn down the lollies and cakes and doughnuts at work. It's not even a struggle, I no longer enjoy the way sugar makes my body feel. But my old nemesis, potato chips, remains undefeated. I eat potato chips to fill the emptiness in my soul. To feel as miserable physically as I do mentally or emotionally. To get comfort from an association with my childhood. It is the struggle I can't overcome. The war I can't win. So after months of trying on my own to no avail, months of the scales not budging, I have signed up for a healthy eating plan. I'm n...

I don't want to do this anymore

I am so over it right now. Everything feels hard. Everything feels shit. Everything makes me want to cry. I don't want to be a person any more. I don't want to be an anything any more. My children are smart. They get good grades, score well on NAPLAN, their teachers love them. Why then must they continue to do stupid things? I am so sick of a child running to tell me that so-and-so did such-and-such to me, I am sick of them hurting each other, I am sick of them destroying things, I am sick of them whinging, complaining, walking past rubbish on the floor, leaving shit everywhere, pretending they can't see the dog wee on the floor, having rooms that looking like the aftermath of a break and enter. I am sick of washing dishes, of sweeping floors, of the endless amounts of washing and folding and cleaning and tidying and cooking and planning and thinking. I am sick of feeling guilty for not being able to do those things that I should be doing, of feeling guilty that my husband...

now you're just somebody that i used to know

this song by gotye (good thing this is typed or i'd still be stumbling over the pronunciation... goat-ee-ay... gotcha...goat-yee...) is one of my favourites at the moment and is on constant rotation at my house and in my car. the song is about two ex lovers but has gotten me thinking about all those people that were once an intrinsic part of my life, helped me to define who i was and my place in the world and are now just some people that i used to know. we all have them. those people that we thought we would be friends with forever, that we talked to every day, hung out with all the time, people who knew all our in jokes because they helped create them, knew all the stories of our past. then suddenly you wake up one day and realise its been a month since you saw them, then its six months, then you can't remember the last time you saw them. you think about calling them but it feels awkward, then you tell yourself that they could call you if they wanted to. time passes and the...