Skip to main content

the uppers and the downside

So I have spoken about my suspicions that I have ADHD both here and on twitter. I went and had my first appointment with the special ADHD doctor two weeks ago and because I was unable to find my school reports I had to go back for a second appointment with a letter from one of my parents talking about how they noticed ADHD symptoms in me when I was younger.

Apparently the Health Department are quite strict about who they let doctors prescribe ADHD medication to (surprise surprise) and it is their requirement for there to be some evidence of childhood symptoms. My first port of call was my mum, surely she would be able to write a letter containing a list of things I had done as a child? This proved to be slightly more difficult as she expressed to me her belief that I didn't have problems concentrating at school. When I pointed out to her that every single one of my school reports contained something along the lines of "Tiffany talks too much", her reply was simply that I was a very social child.

So after hitting a bit of a brick wall there I rang my dad and explained to him what was going on. The first thing he said was "you've always had trouble focusing".  I think I may have sighed audibly with relief. After providing him with the details dad agreed to provide me with the needed letter.

Now this is the bit where we get to the downside. Dad sent me a well written, detailed letter to give to the doctor. The only problem was that upon reading it I was immediately stripped of all my self esteem and felt like the biggest failure at life ever. The letter served exactly the purpose it needed to, to illustrate why it is more than likely that I have ADHD and why I need ADHD medication. Bonus points for that dad. But to see all of your life's failings laid out in one letter is a less than pleasant experience. To see that you haven't ever really achieved anything because you've never been able to really complete a single task, to see that your parent believes you never reached your full potential, is hard.

It hit me right in the stomach and in doing so, pushed me into that black hole I am often standing on the edge of. It took me a while to realise what was going on, in fact, to be completely honest the realisation only just dawned on me now. I knew I had been in a bad place with my depression the last week but I only just put the pieces together while typing. As a depressive who has a constant battle against the negative voice, seeing my faults laid out was not a helpful experience and one I'd prefer not to repeat. Ever.

I took the letter along to my second appointment and the doctor told me that there is little doubt I suffer from ADHD and he has put me on a months trial of Dexamphetamines. In a couple of weeks I have to do a drug test to prove that I am actually taking them (they're worth about $50 a pop on the black market apparently!).

I took my first pill this morning and my second one at noon. I'm working up to two in the morning and two at lunchtime, and maybe one later in the afternoon if I need it. I'm not sure if I feel different yet. Only time will tell I guess. I certainly don't feel like I'm on speed so that's probably fairly good confirmation that I have ADHD as well. I look forward to seeing where this new journey takes me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week One... Or Should I Say Week Two Thousand One Hundred and Seventy Nine...

 That's how many weeks I have been alive (give or take a couple of days). Two thousand one hundred and seventy-nine. Yet here I am still fighting the same fights I have always fought. Self-image, self-acceptance, unrelenting standards, imposter syndrome.  Once again I find myself in a body that feels uncomfortable and unhealthy. It crept up on me slowly and suddenly all at the same time. I still barely eat any refined sugar. I turn down the lollies and cakes and doughnuts at work. It's not even a struggle, I no longer enjoy the way sugar makes my body feel. But my old nemesis, potato chips, remains undefeated. I eat potato chips to fill the emptiness in my soul. To feel as miserable physically as I do mentally or emotionally. To get comfort from an association with my childhood. It is the struggle I can't overcome. The war I can't win. So after months of trying on my own to no avail, months of the scales not budging, I have signed up for a healthy eating plan. I'm n

World Domination and the Darkness

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?" "The same thing we do every night Pinky -  try to take over the world!" Two things are clear to me , I love that cartoon and Brain never suffered from depression. You see it's much easier to try to take over the world if you don't have to use every ounce of motivation and determination in your body to get out of bed each morning. If Brain had suffered from depression it is likely he may have given up his plan after the first failure. For even the smallest hurdle can, to a depressive, seem like an insurmountable barrier. Now don't get me wrong, there are lots of depressed people who have achieved all sorts of amazing things. World domination while depressed is not completely impossible its just a hell of a lot harder. Before people start accusing me of being a whiner and making excuses I would first ask those people a) do you currently have or have you ever depression? and b) can you shut your stupid

Unsent Letter: Dear Broken Little Girl

Dear Broken Little Girl You've got the world fooled. With your masks and your costumes. With the illusion you have created. I'm not fooled anymore, I see who you truly are. I see the little girl terrified of revealing any weakness or cracks. The little girl who uses people for what they can do for her and then casts them aside until she needs them once more. I used to look at you and think you were so much more than me, that I was so much less. Now I realise that you will never be as much as me. Not until you are willing to be wrong, to be imperfect, to be fragile and vulnerable and human. Anybody can do what you do, yet you doubt my ability. You think you are so grown up and in control, but you're not. Everything you stand against, you have been. Everything you fight for, you've never endured. You are an empty shadow trying to fill yourself up at the expense of others. You once told me that I should learn to put myself first and say no. Well I've learnt. I