Skip to main content

Threesome Thursday: Children's Books

Today I am sharing my three favourite books from my childhood

1. Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge

 Written by Mem Fox, Illustrated by Julie Vivas


This book is the heartwarming story of a little boy with four names who lives next door to an old people's home. His favourite person of all is Miss Nancy Alison Delacourt Cooper because she has four names just like him.  Wilfrid overhears his parents talking about Miss Nancy losing her memory and being the curious and caring child that he is, Wilfrid wants to understand what memory is so he can help Miss Nancy find her lost one.

The rest of the book involves Wilfrid asking grown ups (mostly the residents of the old people's home) what memory is and then finding things of his own that match the descriptions. He then presents the "memories" to Miss Nancy and she shares with him the stories of her life. The final page of the book says

She bounced the football to Wilfred Gordon
and remembered the day she had met him
and all the secrets they had told.

And the two of them smiled and smiled
because Miss Nancy's memory had been found again
by a small boy, who wasn't very old either

Its Mem Fox, what more needs to be said? The illustration by Julie Vivas are still some of my very favourites to this day. Needless to say, as a kid who grew up with a Nanna she loved and adored more than life it's self who was suffering from Alzheimer's, this will always hold a special place in my heart. I'm crying now just from reading that final page.


He called on Mr Tippit who was crazy about cricket
he went into the hen house and took a fresh, warm egg from under a hen
She smiled at the puppet on strings and remembered the one she had shown to her sister and how she had laughed with a mouthful of porridge


 2. The Friends of Emily Culpepper

Written by Ann Coleridge, Illustrated by Roland Harvey



Emily Culpepper is an old lady who enjoys
cooking and travelling, but most of all
she enjoys talking to her friends.

Sound like a fairly innocuous start to a book right?! But we soon discover that this old lady likes talking to her friends so much that she makes them small and puts them in jam jars, pickle jars and coffee jars. She's not cruel to them of course, she lets them out every day to eat lunch and have a play in an old doll's house. Sometimes she has trouble catching them and "the hunt is quite exciting". Eventually a policeman comes and tells her she has to let them go... of course nothing is ever that simple in a children's book but I'll let you discover for yourself what happens next.


3. The Pinkish Purplish Bluish Egg

Written and Illustrated by Bill Peet


This book is about Myrtle, the Turtle Dove, a very loving bird who is experience empty nest syndrome having said goodbye to her grown up children birds. Feeling a bit weepy, she hides in a cave for a mope and finds the pinkish, purplish, bluish egg. With the help of some squirrels she gets the egg into her nest and sets about trying to hatch it.

Soon all sorts of birds began flocking around


To see the big egg that Myrtle had found-

Blue jays and redbirds and noisy magpies

And a big stuffy owl who was worldly and wise.

'It won't hatch, said the owl. 'That egg is stone-cold.

Why for all we know it's a thousand years old.'

"If it does hatch,' a jay said, 'I'll bet it's a turtle,

For, after all, you are a turtledove, Myrtle.'

But the dove didn't listen to what the birds said;

She was bound and determined to go right ahead

So once the egg hatches it turns out to be... dun dun dun... a GRIFFIN!

Of course all the other birds are very unaccepting of Zeke the Griffin because he's "different" from every one else, stupid bigoted birds. They eventually drive him out of his home and away from the only mother he's ever known because he's "dangerous" (code for different to us and makes us feel weird and uncomfortable because we like every one to look and act exactly the same because even though we are birds we are actually a representation of humanity in case you didn't realise).

Then some bad dudes come and threaten the safety and well being of the birds and Zeke, despite having been treated like crap, saves the day cause that's what Griffins do cause they are noble and honourable and fierce and loving. Then of course, because he saved them, the birds somehow find it in their hearts to accept him as one of them (except for the arsehole Owl who continues to insist that he's mythical and doesn't actually exist).

Bill Peet is a fantastic author and his books always contain hidden moral lessons and fabulous illustrations. I obviously loved this book a lot growing up because I named one of my children after the main character! (Not on purpose, not consciously anyway).

Honorary mentions go to 

About a quite unintelligent baby bird who doesn't quite understand the way the world works
The quintessential Australian Kids' book, it has Vegemite in it FFS! Can't get much more Aussie than that
I hesitate to put this book even on the honourable mentions list because my little sister, Alex, and my mum used to torment me with it by reading it EVERY SINGLE TIME my sister had a sleepover. But of course, my torment was all for show, it made my sister laugh! This one gets a mention for the memories

Another great Australian kids' book that involves outsmarting the "bad guy"





















What were your favourite childhood books?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week One... Or Should I Say Week Two Thousand One Hundred and Seventy Nine...

 That's how many weeks I have been alive (give or take a couple of days). Two thousand one hundred and seventy-nine. Yet here I am still fighting the same fights I have always fought. Self-image, self-acceptance, unrelenting standards, imposter syndrome.  Once again I find myself in a body that feels uncomfortable and unhealthy. It crept up on me slowly and suddenly all at the same time. I still barely eat any refined sugar. I turn down the lollies and cakes and doughnuts at work. It's not even a struggle, I no longer enjoy the way sugar makes my body feel. But my old nemesis, potato chips, remains undefeated. I eat potato chips to fill the emptiness in my soul. To feel as miserable physically as I do mentally or emotionally. To get comfort from an association with my childhood. It is the struggle I can't overcome. The war I can't win. So after months of trying on my own to no avail, months of the scales not budging, I have signed up for a healthy eating plan. I'm n...

I don't want to do this anymore

I am so over it right now. Everything feels hard. Everything feels shit. Everything makes me want to cry. I don't want to be a person any more. I don't want to be an anything any more. My children are smart. They get good grades, score well on NAPLAN, their teachers love them. Why then must they continue to do stupid things? I am so sick of a child running to tell me that so-and-so did such-and-such to me, I am sick of them hurting each other, I am sick of them destroying things, I am sick of them whinging, complaining, walking past rubbish on the floor, leaving shit everywhere, pretending they can't see the dog wee on the floor, having rooms that looking like the aftermath of a break and enter. I am sick of washing dishes, of sweeping floors, of the endless amounts of washing and folding and cleaning and tidying and cooking and planning and thinking. I am sick of feeling guilty for not being able to do those things that I should be doing, of feeling guilty that my husband...

now you're just somebody that i used to know

this song by gotye (good thing this is typed or i'd still be stumbling over the pronunciation... goat-ee-ay... gotcha...goat-yee...) is one of my favourites at the moment and is on constant rotation at my house and in my car. the song is about two ex lovers but has gotten me thinking about all those people that were once an intrinsic part of my life, helped me to define who i was and my place in the world and are now just some people that i used to know. we all have them. those people that we thought we would be friends with forever, that we talked to every day, hung out with all the time, people who knew all our in jokes because they helped create them, knew all the stories of our past. then suddenly you wake up one day and realise its been a month since you saw them, then its six months, then you can't remember the last time you saw them. you think about calling them but it feels awkward, then you tell yourself that they could call you if they wanted to. time passes and the...