Skip to main content

Speak up

Last Friday I made someone cry. She is a friend of mine, I've known her for over half my life, my children call her Aunty, I love her dearly. I didn't set out to make her cry and I'm not proud of it. I'm sorry that I upset her. I'm not sorry about the reason I made her cry. 

We nearly always have drinks and nibbles with my mum on Friday nights. We have a regular cast of friends that join us when they can and last Friday a group of about 8 of us were gathered. It was a normal  Friday night, drinking, laughing, eating, talking. One friend (not the one I made cry) has been having a terrible time of late with all sorts of unpleasantness in her life. She's been quite down and I would suspect is suffering from depression. She made a half hearted "joke" about walking to work the other day and getting caught waiting for the train to pass at the train crossing and declared that for a moment she'd thought to herself that if she threw herself under the train all the pain would be over. She laughed an uneasy laugh in an attempt to cover up just how serious the thought had been, trying to convince herself as well as us that she wouldn't really kill herself. 

I was sad that she felt that way, but suddenly my other friend (the one I DID make cry) said something along the lines of "don't be ridiculous, you just have to get over it". She said several things along the same lines, that our friend must just stop thinking that way and stop being so down. Without thinking I turned and, probably in quite a snappish way, said "can you please stop telling someone who is depressed that they need to get over it, you're actually quite upsetting me". She muttered something I didn't really hear about trying to be helpful or some such, its all kind of a blur. Realising that I'd probably used a harsher tone than I meant to I tried to explain that I understood she was trying to be helpful but that if it was as simple as just stopping feeling sad then depression would be cured.

Before I knew what was happening she was out of her seat and choked out an "I have to go" amidst her struggle to contain her tears. I sat there, unsure what to do. I looked at the faces of the others at the table, some still engrossed in other conversations, oblivious to what had taken place, and as I sat there looking at them I realised that out of the eight of us sitting at the table I was aware that six of us have struggled with depression at some point in our lives. It was then I realised that I am so sick of staying quiet and minding the way I speak for fear of upsetting people. I'm always being told to temper the way I speak, that my passion is admired but I mustn't be so harsh. Fuck that. 

I live my life everyday knowing that someone, or more likely a whole bunch of someones think that I should just get over my depression. They think my depression is just an excuse, its not real, its just that I need to learn to cope with life better, I need to stop being so ridiculous. I expect it from the wider community because that stigma still exists, that lack of understanding still exists. I do not expect it from people who love me. I do not expect it from someone who has many friends who've suffered from depression. I do not expect it at MY dinner table. I do not expect it and I will not tolerate it.

We may have trouble getting out of bed, facing the world, functioning in our own lives sometimes, but we will not stay silent. We will speak up. We will fight for those of us who are too weak to fight for themselves. We may be the depressed but we will not be the downtrodden or the defeated. Speak up, be heard. 

The friend who'd mentioned her suicidal thoughts thanked me afterwards for speaking up and she knows now that someone hears her and understands. That is more reward then I could ever ask for.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week One... Or Should I Say Week Two Thousand One Hundred and Seventy Nine...

 That's how many weeks I have been alive (give or take a couple of days). Two thousand one hundred and seventy-nine. Yet here I am still fighting the same fights I have always fought. Self-image, self-acceptance, unrelenting standards, imposter syndrome.  Once again I find myself in a body that feels uncomfortable and unhealthy. It crept up on me slowly and suddenly all at the same time. I still barely eat any refined sugar. I turn down the lollies and cakes and doughnuts at work. It's not even a struggle, I no longer enjoy the way sugar makes my body feel. But my old nemesis, potato chips, remains undefeated. I eat potato chips to fill the emptiness in my soul. To feel as miserable physically as I do mentally or emotionally. To get comfort from an association with my childhood. It is the struggle I can't overcome. The war I can't win. So after months of trying on my own to no avail, months of the scales not budging, I have signed up for a healthy eating plan. I'm n

Unsent Letter: Dear Broken Little Girl

Dear Broken Little Girl You've got the world fooled. With your masks and your costumes. With the illusion you have created. I'm not fooled anymore, I see who you truly are. I see the little girl terrified of revealing any weakness or cracks. The little girl who uses people for what they can do for her and then casts them aside until she needs them once more. I used to look at you and think you were so much more than me, that I was so much less. Now I realise that you will never be as much as me. Not until you are willing to be wrong, to be imperfect, to be fragile and vulnerable and human. Anybody can do what you do, yet you doubt my ability. You think you are so grown up and in control, but you're not. Everything you stand against, you have been. Everything you fight for, you've never endured. You are an empty shadow trying to fill yourself up at the expense of others. You once told me that I should learn to put myself first and say no. Well I've learnt. I

World Domination and the Darkness

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?" "The same thing we do every night Pinky -  try to take over the world!" Two things are clear to me , I love that cartoon and Brain never suffered from depression. You see it's much easier to try to take over the world if you don't have to use every ounce of motivation and determination in your body to get out of bed each morning. If Brain had suffered from depression it is likely he may have given up his plan after the first failure. For even the smallest hurdle can, to a depressive, seem like an insurmountable barrier. Now don't get me wrong, there are lots of depressed people who have achieved all sorts of amazing things. World domination while depressed is not completely impossible its just a hell of a lot harder. Before people start accusing me of being a whiner and making excuses I would first ask those people a) do you currently have or have you ever depression? and b) can you shut your stupid