Skip to main content

Muscle Shoals

"Now Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers 
And they've been known to pick a song or two 
Lord they get me off so much 
They pick me up when I'm feeling blue 
Now how about you?"
- Lynyrd Skynyrd


Chances are you've never heard of Muscle Shoals, Alabama. It is highly likely however, that you've heard of Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, and the Rolling Stones. All of these artists, and many, many others, recorded some of their most popular, successful and groundbreaking songs and albums at both Fame Studios and Muscle Shoals Sound Studios in Muscle Shoals. This beautifully shot documentary, named after the town, takes viewers on a journey through history, introducing us to the key players and a supporting cast of famous faces. 

Utilising, interviews, archive footage, photos, sound clips and some of the greatest music ever recorded, Muscle Shoals introduces us to the men who made the distinctive Muscle Shoals sound so sought after by artists of all genres. Heavily relying on the recollections and storytelling of Fame Studios  founder Rick Hall, the narrative weaves in elements of Native American history and legend amongst stories of drug taking, jam sessions, friendship and bitter rivalry. The film seeks to explore the concept that geography is somehow able to influence the quality of music it produces, something I find fascinating, especially as a resident of Perth, a city which has produced some of the most talented and successful Australian musicians of the last few decades.

While I found myself enthralled by the stories of legendary musicians and their experiences at Muscles Shoals, and often tapping my foot along to the music, I also found myself slightly frustrated at the use of modern musicians (such as Bono and Alicia Keyes) who had nothing to do with building the legend behind these studios. It felt like they were added gratuitously in some misguided and desperate attempt to engage with a younger audience. If this is the case I feel the filmmakers severely underestimated the appeal their story would have to music lovers of all ages. 

Apart from this small annoyance, and a feeling of slight repetitiveness, I found this documentary extremely enjoyable and have spent the morning researching more about the town of Muscle Shoals, the studios that made it famous and the artists who recorded there. I would highly recommended this film to anyone even remotely interested in music, its worth it for the soundtrack alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week One... Or Should I Say Week Two Thousand One Hundred and Seventy Nine...

 That's how many weeks I have been alive (give or take a couple of days). Two thousand one hundred and seventy-nine. Yet here I am still fighting the same fights I have always fought. Self-image, self-acceptance, unrelenting standards, imposter syndrome.  Once again I find myself in a body that feels uncomfortable and unhealthy. It crept up on me slowly and suddenly all at the same time. I still barely eat any refined sugar. I turn down the lollies and cakes and doughnuts at work. It's not even a struggle, I no longer enjoy the way sugar makes my body feel. But my old nemesis, potato chips, remains undefeated. I eat potato chips to fill the emptiness in my soul. To feel as miserable physically as I do mentally or emotionally. To get comfort from an association with my childhood. It is the struggle I can't overcome. The war I can't win. So after months of trying on my own to no avail, months of the scales not budging, I have signed up for a healthy eating plan. I'm n

World Domination and the Darkness

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?" "The same thing we do every night Pinky -  try to take over the world!" Two things are clear to me , I love that cartoon and Brain never suffered from depression. You see it's much easier to try to take over the world if you don't have to use every ounce of motivation and determination in your body to get out of bed each morning. If Brain had suffered from depression it is likely he may have given up his plan after the first failure. For even the smallest hurdle can, to a depressive, seem like an insurmountable barrier. Now don't get me wrong, there are lots of depressed people who have achieved all sorts of amazing things. World domination while depressed is not completely impossible its just a hell of a lot harder. Before people start accusing me of being a whiner and making excuses I would first ask those people a) do you currently have or have you ever depression? and b) can you shut your stupid

Unsent Letter: Dear Broken Little Girl

Dear Broken Little Girl You've got the world fooled. With your masks and your costumes. With the illusion you have created. I'm not fooled anymore, I see who you truly are. I see the little girl terrified of revealing any weakness or cracks. The little girl who uses people for what they can do for her and then casts them aside until she needs them once more. I used to look at you and think you were so much more than me, that I was so much less. Now I realise that you will never be as much as me. Not until you are willing to be wrong, to be imperfect, to be fragile and vulnerable and human. Anybody can do what you do, yet you doubt my ability. You think you are so grown up and in control, but you're not. Everything you stand against, you have been. Everything you fight for, you've never endured. You are an empty shadow trying to fill yourself up at the expense of others. You once told me that I should learn to put myself first and say no. Well I've learnt. I